About John Shegerian
John Shegerian is a serial social entrepreneur who focuses on solving global problems through game changing innovation to build successful, socially responsible companies. Shegerian co-founded Homeboy Industries, FinancialAid.com, ERI, and The Marketing Masters before embarking on his newest venture: Som Sleep. Som is a supplement formulated to help individuals achieve better, more restorative sleep.
Why You Should Listen
As the founder of over 8 businesses, John Shegerian knows a thing or two about burning the candle at both ends, but after he experienced what doctors call “a microsleep event” where he passed out for a few seconds from exhaustion, he realized he needed to make a change.
In this conversation, John and I discuss what led him to found Som Sleep, a company that makes an all natural, vegan, non-GMO, allergen free, non-habit forming beverage that is formulated to help individuals achieve better sleep.
We talk about:
- How he went from making his own sleep formula at home to teaming up with food scientists and later packers and distributors to help make this company a reality.
- Statistics related to microsleep events and the average American, that will frankly, shock you.
- The current competition in the sleep space and how he plans to grow and expand in the future.
- The plant-based food space and how overall wellness products fit in.
We spend a lot of time talking about how we can build a healthier, more sustainable food system on this podcast, but realistically, we can’t even get to that point if we don’t stop to consider our own well-being. What I like best about this interview is that it shows you don’t have to run yourself completely into the ground to be successful in the business world. In fact, if we all just got some sleep, not only would we all be more healthy, but in the end, much much more productive.
People/Companies/Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Som Sleep
- Green is Good Radio
- Michio Kushi
- Homeboy Industries
- Microsleep Event
- Pineal Glad
- Peter Maglathlin
- Avocado Mattress
- Tuft & Needle
- Arianna Huffington
- Ethan Brown, Beyond Meat
- Outstanding Foods: Pig Out