About Andy Levitt
After getting diagnosed with Crohn’s disease in 2012, Andy Levitt saw that integrating more plant-based meals into his diet not only made a dramatic difference in how he felt – but actually altered the course of his disease. Two years later, he went on to create Purple Carrot, the plant-based meal kit company, out of his garage with a mission to inspire others to experience these health benefits themselves. After only 3 years in the space, Purple Carrot has become one of the major competitors in the meal kit industry, differentiating itself with unique plant-based offerings. The company has also gone on to partner with five-time Super Bowl champion, Tom Brady, to create the TB12 Performance Meals, and has expanded to offer its kits nationwide.
Why You Should Listen
Andy Levitt, the Founder and CEO of Purple Carrot, spent the bulk of his career in the pharmaceutical industry. After getting diagnosed with Crohn’s disease in 2012, Andy saw that integrating more plant-based meals into his diet not only made a dramatic difference in how he felt – but actually altered the course of his disease.
In this conversation, Andy and I discuss:
- The logistics of starting a meal-kit company and the various struggles Purple Carrot has had to overcome to ensure customer satisfaction and quality.
- How Tom Brady partnered with Purple Carrot and why plant-based food is a key to Tom Brady’s performance and longevity as an athlete.
- Andy’s thoughts on how his company fits into the larger, shifting food space and his goals to transform the health of Americans.
Andy hopes to change the food system from the inside out by using Purple Carrot as a platform to inspire and empower people to embrace plant-based foods.
But this episode is about a lot more than Purple Carrot, the meal kit space or plant-based food for that matter. Andy shares some great insights about entrepreneurship that can benefit anyone running a business or looking to start their own business in the ever-evolving food space.
People/Companies/Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Matt Salzberg
- Blue Apron
- Forks Over Knives
- Art of the Start, by Guy Kawasaki
- Seth Godin
- Green Chef
- Sun Basket
- Home Chef
- Marley Spoon
- Whole Foods
- Tom Brady TB12 Performance Meals